INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence
INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence is a national activist organization of radical feminists of color advancing a movement to end violence against women of color and their communities through direct action, critical dialogue and grassroots organizing.
INCITE! is a national, activist organization of radical feminists of color that is mobilizing to end all forms of violence against women of color and our communities. By supporting grassroots organizing, we intend to advance a national movement to nurture the health and well-being of communities of color. Through the efforts of Incite!, women of color and our communities will move closer towards global peace, justice and liberation.
Principles of Unity
We at INCITE!:
- Maintain a space by and for women of color.
- Center our political analysis and community action in the struggle for liberation.
- Support sovereignty for indigenous people as central to the struggle for liberation.
- Oppose all forms of violence which oppress women of color and our communities.
- Recognize the state as the central organizer of violence which oppress women of color and our communities.
- Recognize these expressions of violence against women of color as including colonialism, police brutality, immigration policies, reproductive control, etc.
- Link liberation struggles which oppose racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, ageism and all other forms of oppression.
- Support coalition building between women of color.
- Recognize and honor differences across cultures.
- Encourage creative models of community organizing and action.
- Promote shared leadership and decision-making.
- Recognize and resist the power of co-optation of our movements.
- Support these principles not only in our actions, but in the practices within our own organizations.
- Support the creation of organizational processes which encourage these principles and which effectively address oppressive individual and institutional practices within our own organizations.
- Discourage any solicitation of federal or state funding for Incite activities.
These Principles of Unity are guides towards practices by the INCITE national body and the local affiliates. In recognition of the necessity for a space for women of color to engage in acts of liberation and creativity rather than control, the national Incite group will not act as a monitoring or policing body towards the practices of local Incite affiliates
Email: incite_national [at] yahoo [dot] com
New Orleans Phone Number: 504-524-8255 (Women’s Health Clinic)
** September 16, 2006. ‘Incite! New Orleans Call for Action’
** September 11, 2005. ‘Incite! Statement on Hurricane Katrina.’
Articles by INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence
September 1, 2005
September 3, 2005
September 11, 2005
September 20, 2005
November 1, 2005
August 25, 2006
September 16, 2006
January 1, 2007
February 1, 2007
February 1, 2007
September 27, 2008