Table of Contents
SOME HISTORY OF RACISM AND RESISTANCE IN NEW ORLEANS BEFORE KATRINA
"THEY LEFT US HERE TO DIE"
- Voices of Survival and Solidarity During the Great Flood
- Katrina in New Orleans: A Disaster Industrial Complex
- Institutions: Where There is Oppression, There is Resistance
- Louisiana Recovery Authority
- New Orleans 'Planning' Perspectives & Processes
- New Orleans East
- The Ninth Ward
- Tenants Rights in 'Private' Housing
- Tenants Rights in Public Housing
- Media, Polls, Ideology, Culture:
- Prison Industrial Complex:
- One Year After the Great Flood
SOME EXAMPLES OF GRASSROOTS RACIAL JUSTICE ORGANIZING IN NEW ORLEANS AFTER KATRINA
ANTI-RACIST SOLIDARITY: SOME PERSPECTIVES AND TOOLS
- Perspectives and Tools (primarily for white activists)
- Solidarity Stories: mostly from the San Francisco Bayview (in progress)
SOME RESOURCES AND LINKS
- Some Grassroots Racial Justice Organizations in New Orleans
- Some Web Resources for Information and Action
- Some 'One Year After Katrina' Reports and Analyses. August, 2006
- Some 'Two Years After Katrina' Reports and Analyses. August, 2007
- General Background
ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO BROWSE THE READER:
Some Films, Videos, and DVD's
Heroes, Not Looters -- Eyewitness New Orleans and Houston.
A 15 minute DVD produced by the ANSWER Coalition, Sept. 2005.
I Won’t Drown on that Levee and You Ain’t Gonna Break My Back.
Critical Resistance. A DVD directed by Ashley Hunt of the Corrections Documentary Project. 2006. (www.criticalresistance.org/katrina)
Monica Dillon, songwriter, discusses her song, ‘When the Levees Broke.' VIDEO/SONG
The Lower Ninth: Ground Zero for Reparations and Education.
A 17 minute DVD by K-C Nat Turner. Aug. 29, 2006.
Email: naturner [at] berkeley [dot] ed
The Unmasking of New Orleans: Documentary on Hurricane Katrina.
A DVD Produced by Final Call Inc Broadcasting. 2006.
(www.store.finalcall.com or call 1-866-602-1230. ext 200)
This Is My Home. The Fight for Public Housing. The Advancement Project. (www.advancementproject.org) Spring, 2007. DVD
Voices From the Gulf Coast. 10 Families tell their stories.
A collaboration of Brave New Foundation and the Ella Baker Center. (www.colorofchange.org/ufg/?id=1969-46679) VIDEO (http://www.ellabakercenter.org/page.php?pageid=168contentid=315)
When the Levees Broke. A Four Hour Documentary by Spike Lee.
DVD (Available to rent at video stores?)
When the Saints Go Marching In. (About the housing crisis in New Orleans). Sept. 2007. A collaboration between Brave New Foundation and the Advancement Project. (http://whenthesaints.org) DVD
New Orleans Human Rights Film Festivals
Films, Videos and DVD’s from the
2006 and 2007
For info on how to obtain films from their distributors,
please email info [at] nolahumanrights [dot] org